These foods have superpowers—and you probably already have them in your kitchen.
By Cynthia Sass, M.P.H., R.D.
You probably have black beans or chickpeas in your pantry right now, but you may not realize how amazing they are for your health. The category of foods called pulses—which includes lentils, peas, chickpeas, and many varieties of beans—is an underrated group of superfoods.
Scientists have published an amazing amount of research on pulses. They’ve been shown to:
- Reduce blood pressure and LDL (“bad”) cholesterol
- Lower the risk of type 2 diabetes and certain cancers
- Boost feelings of fullness and delay the return of hunger
- Increase calorie burn and reduce belly fat
Watch the video above to learn more about pulses and how to incorporate them into your diet every day. And check out my favorite pulse-based recipes:
- Easy Mediterranean Lentil Spaghetti
- Savory Mashed Chickpea Scramble
- Baked Chickpea Cakes Over Sesame Mixed Greens
- White Bean and Kale Soup
Note: If you have a chronic condition or dietary restrictions, please consult your physician or dietitian before beginning a new eating plan to make sure it’s safe for you.