Being active is important. Yet it’s only one component of health. This month we’re bringing you fun and easy workouts, activities, and tips to create a well-rounded lifestyle that supports the whole you.
Think about a time when you did something fitness-wise that was challenging, even a little thrilling. Maybe you completed a SilverSneakers class you were intimidated to try. Or perhaps you outlasted your grandkids at the playground, or crushed an opponent on the pickleball court.
Whatever the accomplishment, we’ll wager that it took more than a few “I think I can”s to make that success a reality. In fact, all areas of your life—your movement, sleep, relationships, nutrition, and mindset—play a key role in your overall wellness.
The more balance you have between each area, the more likely you are to try different activities, set healthy goals, and feel excited about what’s ahead in life.
That’s why we’re packing this month with fun new workouts, simple activities, and realistic advice to help you build strength, eat healthier, sleep more soundly, and feel happier. For an extra dose of inspiration, we’ve asked SilverSneakers LIVE instructor Shannon Thigpen to shake up your fitness routine and share a few of her own wellness strategies.
By the time Oct. 31 arrives, you’ll have something new to brag about: confidence! You can use that newfound verve to tackle anything you set your mind to.
Here’s a sneak peek at what’s in store this month:
- Express versions of popular SilverSneakers classes that include a mix of gentle cardio, strength, and stretching
- Ways to change up your walking routine, whether you enjoy the trails or the treadmill
- Key moves to help you feel stable and secure on your feet
- A simple yoga routine that will calm your body and mind—and prepare you for sleep
- The ultimate post-workout mindfulness exercise
- Expert advice on healthy eating, coping with negativity, filling your downtime, and more
- Plus, recommendations for SilverSneakers LIVE and in-person classes to keep the momentum going
How the Whole-Body Wellness Challenge Works
The challenge is open to everyone, including SilverSneakers members and non-members. You can follow along here on the SilverSneakers blog to see the latest.
Every week in October, we’ll be posting four new workouts and/or exercise options. You’ll only need yourself, some open floor space, and a sturdy chair for standing support. You may also want to have a resistance band, some light weights, and a yoga mat handy.
As always, safety is key. The exercises here may be different or more advanced than your regular SilverSneakers class. If you have a chronic condition, an injury, or balance issues, talk to your doctor about how you can exercise safely.
Just getting started or missed a few days? Catch up here:
- October 4: 10-Minute SilverSneakers Classic Workout
- October 5: What Is Intuitive Eating—and Should You Try It?
- October 6: Plank Progressions
- October 7: 3 Strength Intervals for Your Walks
- October 8: 5 Exercises to Help Prevent Falls
- October 9: 5 Shoe Mistakes Many Older Adults Make
- October 10: 4 Quick, Healthy Lunches That Aren’t Salad
- October 11: 10-Minute SilverSneakers Yoga Routine
- October 12: 5 Ways to Deal with Negative People
- October 13: Tree Pose Progressions
- October 14: 3-Minute Post Workout Meditation
- October 15: 3 New Ways to Use Resistance Bands
- October 16: 11 Best and Worst Sleep Positions for Older Adults
- October 17: 7 Quick Moves to Do Before Every Strength Workout
- October 18: 12-Minute SilverSneakers Total Body Strength
- October 19: 8 Ways Therapists Cope on Their Hardest Days
- October 20: Bridge Progressions
- October 21: 3 Ways to Turn a Treadmill Walk Into a Workout
- October 22: 5 Quick Anytime Cardio Exercises
- October 23: 5 Foods That Are Messing with Your Sleep
- October 24: The Medical Tests Every Older Adult Needs
- October 25: 7-Minute SilverSneakers Cardio Mix Workout
- October 26: 7 Fun Things to Do Alone
- October 27: Squat to Overhead Press Combo
- October 28: 5 Upper-Body Resistance Band Moves
- October 29: 5 Yoga Poses for Better Sleep
- October 30: 5 Simple Ways Older Adults Can Ease Financial Anxieties
- October 31: 4 Simple Ways to Boost Balance Every Day, According to Your SilverSneakers Instructor
Check Your SilverSneakers Eligibility Instantly
SilverSneakers members can go to thousands of gyms and fitness locations across the nation, plus take SilverSneakers LIVE online classes that are designed for seniors of all levels. If you have a Medicare plan, it may include SilverSneakers—at no additional cost. Check your eligibility instantly here.
Not eligible for SilverSneakers? You can still get 200-plus free SilverSneakers On-Demand videos and stay in touch with us by creating your online account.