Your core is one of the most important and powerful muscle groups. This week we’re giving it some much-due attention. Join us!
Fun fact: You’re utilizing your core right now. It’s true, even when you’re sitting around your core muscles are hard at work.
The muscles that run along the backs of the legs, through the hips and abdominals, and on up to the shoulders and back help stabilize the spine to make easier work of everyday tasks. Reaching, twisting, crouching, climbing, balancing, walking, sitting tall—every move you make involves your core.
In other words, it’s a pretty important body part. That’s why we’re excited to bring you more than a week’s worth of core-strengthening workouts and exercises. Follow along as SilverSneakers Master Trainer Andi leads routines inspired by popular SilverSneakers classes. You’ll build muscle and get your heart rate up—two key things that can help rev up your metabolism and burn belly fat.
Here’s a sneak peek at what you’ll find:
- A simple core-strength workout that can be done seated or standing. (No floor crunches here!)
- Interval training cardio workouts that boost your heart rate—and help you burn even more fat.
- A fun, rhythmic routine to help you build balance and improve your walking gait.
- Key stretches to keep your muscles flexible and mobile. This way, you can recover faster between workouts and stay on your regular exercise routine.
- Variations of four functional movements that will help you stay independent.
- Plus, recommendations for SilverSneakers LIVE and in-person classes to keep the momentum going.
How the Strong to the Core Challenge Works
The challenge is open to everyone, including SilverSneakers members and non-members. You can follow along here on the SilverSneakers blog to see the latest.
All you need is a sturdy chair, open floor space, and water to stay hydrated. If you’d like support during any of the exercises, set up near a wall.
As always, safety is key. The exercises here may be different or more advanced than your regular SilverSneakers class. If you have a chronic condition, an injury, or balance issues, talk to your doctor about how you can exercise safely.
Just getting started or missed a few days? Catch up here:
Check Your SilverSneakers Eligibility Instantly
SilverSneakers members can go to thousands of gyms and fitness locations across the nation, plus take SilverSneakers LIVE online classes that are designed for seniors of all levels. If you have a Medicare plan, it may include SilverSneakers—at no additional cost. Check your eligibility instantly here.
Not eligible for SilverSneakers? You can still get 200+ free SilverSneakers On-Demand videos and stay in touch with us by creating your online account.