The holidays are upon us, and that means so are the treats. Whether you’re into the sweet treats (candy or fudge), the savory treats (rolls, chips or even crackers), or both, this time of year can be hectic for your waistline. The temptations are so bad that many people experience weight gain during this time of year, from the additional treats and missed workouts. Don’t let the temptations derail you from your fitness goals! Below are 15 of our favorite tricks to saying “No!” to treats this season.
1. Just walk around holding the veggie platter all night – no one will offer, and if they do, your hands will be full.
2. Think about yourself having to jog 4 miles the next day to burn that one treat off.
3. Appoint a “Thanksgiving tackler” to take you down any time they see you with a treat in your hand.
4. Change the subject to the difference between a fir and a pine.
5. Pull your phone out of your pocket and try to answer it.
6. Attach a “no vacancy” sign to your stomach.
7. Refuse in a foreign language, then attempt to continue the conversation in that language as long as possible.
8. Start talking about the weather…in other countries.
9. Politely accept and then secretly give it to a kid whose parents cut him off.
10. Excuse yourself and find a room to do 50 jumping jacks.
11. Turn the tables and say, “I don’t know, do YOU want a treat?”
12. Challenge someone bigger than you to an arm-wrestling match – winner takes all treats.
13. Yell “Truth or Dare?” as loudly as you can.
14. Create a distraction by asking Uncle Bob to tell that one “one story” … again.
15. Yell, “On your mark, get set, go!” and start running (toward the carrots).
While having a treat once in a while isn’t a bad thing, you don’t want to go overboard with the sweets this holiday season. Do you have additional tips for avoiding the treats? Share them with us on Facebook.