Total Fat 12g
Total Carbohydrates g
You’ll have more roasted beets than you need for this dish, but...
- 1 bunch red beets with greens (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup wheat berries
- ¼ cup walnut halves
- ¼ cup crumbled feta
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- Salt and ground pepper
- Heat the oven to 400 F. Trim the greens from the beets and set aside. Scrub the beets well and wrap them tightly in foil. Place on a baking sheet and roast until tender, about 45 to 60 minutes depending on the size of the beets. Remove from the oven. When cool enough to handle, remove the foil, peel off the skins, and cut the beets into ½-inch pieces. Set aside 1 1/3 cups chopped beets; reserve the remaining beets for another use.
- Prepare the wheat berries per the package directions.
- Heat a dry heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Add the walnuts and toast them, shaking the pan frequently, until golden and fragrant, about 1 to 2 minutes. Place walnuts in a small bowl to cool. Chop the walnuts and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the feta, mint, vinegar, and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Set aside.
- Wash and dry all of the beet greens and remove the center stem. Stack four or five leaves on top of one another and roll them, starting from the bottom, like a cigar. Thinly slice the cigar crosswise so that the greens are like ribbons. Continue until all greens are sliced. In a large nonstick pan over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoon olive oil until hot but not smoking. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then add the greens and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside and keep warm.
- Divide the wheat berries evenly among four bowls. Top with equal portions of the beet greens. To each bowl, add 1/3 cup roasted beets and equal portions feta mixture and chopped walnuts.