Journey To 30 Challenge: Make a Meatless Meal
Veggie-packed meals check all the boxes to help you eat better — and get you one step closer to meeting your health goals.
To celebrate our 30th anniversary, we’ve put together the Journey to 30 Challenge! It’s four weeks of summer-fun activities to help you stay active, connect with the SilverSneakers community, and have a total blast doing it. This is Activity No. 2. Find the full step-by-step guide here. And download the game board PDF here.
It’s hard to think about getting in shape without thinking about what’s on your plate. But with so much debate in the nutrition world, it can be hard to know what you should (and shouldn’t) eat.
The one thing experts do agree on, though: Eating plants is good for your health—and the more, the better.
Eating more plant foods can improve emotional and physical well-being, help curb depression symptoms, and boost quality of life, according to 2018 research published in the journal BMJ Open Diabetes Research & Care.
Plus, swapping in more plant foods for meat may help you lose weight (and keep it off), according to findings reported in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. It’ll likely save you at the grocery store, too.
To be clear, we’re not talking about giving up all meat. You don’t need to be vegetarian or vegan to get these health benefits. It’s all about finding a balance, and thinking about smart swaps, when you can.
Get and stay fit with SilverSneakers! Choose from dozens of different Community classes, visit a participating fitness location, or view the current schedule of SilverSneakers LIVE online classes.
The Journey To 30 Challenge Activity No. 2: Make a Meatless Meal
Need some veggie-heavy dish inspiration? Check out our 6 Meatless Meals That Even Carnivores Will Love.
You can also try some of these simple swaps:
- Toss chickpeas or another legume into your salad instead of chicken
- Try black or pinto bean-based tacos instead of ground beefor turkey
- Stir fry tofu or edamame with veggies instead of pork
- Cook up some lentil soup instead of a beef stew
- Swap your deli sandwich for almond or peanut butter on toast topped with your favorite fruit
- Toss together a grain bowl with quinoa or barley and all of your favorite veggies
- Opt for egg salad instead of tuna salad
Or try this:
Not-Just-for-Breakfast Vegetable Frittata with Parmesan
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts, shredded
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium sweet potato, roasted or microwaved, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 1 ounce shredded Parmesan
What to do:
Subscribe to our newsletter
It's quick and easy. You could be one of the 13 million people who are eligible.
Already a member? Click to discover our 15,000+ participating locations.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a medium (8- to 10-inch) cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add Brussels sprouts, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring, until Brussels sprouts are bright green, about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes and sweet potato to the skillet, and cook, stirring, until warm.
- Add eggs and spread the mixture over the skillet.
- Top with Parmesan.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes, until frittata is puffed and cooked through.
Bonus challenge: Return to this activity’s Facebook post and tell us what you made and how it turned out in the comments!
Top 5 Plant-Based Sources of Protein for Older Adults
What Is the Flexitarian Diet—and Should You Try It?
Shop Once, Eat Vegetarian for a Week!
Take Your Favorite SilverSneakers Classes Online!
SilverSneakers members can access live fitness classes and wellness workshops through SilverSneakers LIVE. See the latest schedule and RSVP for classes here.
Not a member? If you have a Medicare Plan, it may include SilverSneakers — at no additional cost. Check your eligibility instantly here.
Not eligible for SilverSneakers? You can still get 200+ free SilverSneakers On-Demand videos and stay in touch with us by creating your online account.