The 2012 Richard L. Swanson
Richard L. Swanson inspired his daughter, Mary Swanson, to create the SilverSneakers Fitness Program in 1992. After Richard suffered a heart attack at the age of 51, his doctor recommended that he exercise regularly. Richard took this advice seriously and worked out three times a week for the next 30 years! Richard passed away in December 2003, and the Healthways SilverSneakers Fitness Program is honored to preserve his memory and legacy with the
Richard L. Swanson Inspiration Award.
Five finalists will be recognized across the US and one of those five will be named the national winner! Swanson Award nominees are individuals who have been touched by the SilverSneakers program and whose healthy behavior has made a difference in his or her own life and inspired others. If you know someone who fits this description – or perhaps it’s even you – please nominate that person.
Three easy ways to nominate. Here's how:
1. Print off the form from the link below and mail or fax it in.
2. Print off the form from the link below and return the form to your nearest SilverSneakers participating location.
3. Visit us on Facebook become a fan and submit your nomination online.
Need help writing your nomination? Here are some tips of composing your inspirational story.
• Nominees must be active members of the SilverSneakers Fitness Program.
• The number of nominations received for an individual will not influence the selection.
• Additionally, SilverSneakers Fitness Program instructors are not eligible for the Swanson Award.
• The selection committee will notify finalists and the decision of the selection committee is final.
Printable Swanson Award nomination form