Braised Green Beans and Summer Vegetables
Got fresh vegetables? Enjoy your favorites with this easy summer recipe that is sure to get your taste buds longing for more!
• 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 small onion, halved and sliced
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1/2 cup white wine or reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 1 pound green beans, trimmed
• 1 medium summer squash or zucchini, halved and cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and oregano and cook, stirring, until softened and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add wine (or broth) and bring to a boil. Add green beans, reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice. Add summer squash (or zucchini) and tomatoes and continue cooking until the vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with parmesan.
6 servings, about 1 cup each
Active Time: 30 minutes; Total Time: 30 minutes
Per serving: 92 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 158 mg sodium;
290 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Vitamin A (15% dv).
1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 vegetables, 1/2 fat
From EatingWell: May/June 2009